Rabbit farming is one of the aspects of a successful agricultural business that you can be involved into. Over one million tons of rabbit meat is consumed every year. That`s a great source of income in Africa and especially in Nigeria. Moreover, rabbits can be used not only as meat, but a great source of fur, and you can even raise them to be home pets. It`s a commercial rearing of rabbits, primary for sale purposes. You can breed them to sell their meat or fur. Rabbit Farming does not involve many expenses in the production of rabbits. Moreover, the nature of rabbits and their breeding preferences can certainly help a newbie in the business.
Risks of Rabbit Farming
- You should construct rabbits` cages difficult to be penetrated by intruders. Rabbits can be eaten or killed by almost any other animal. Therefore, insects, soldier ants, and snakes can easily destroy rabbit breeds.
- Infections can easily destroy your rabbit farming business. Therefore, watch carefully after any occurrence of diseases.
- Be ready to spend more money for feeding rabbits as they do not always concentrate on reproduction.
Advantages of Rabbit Farming
- Rabbit rearing is popular amongst Nigerians and the whole Africa.
- You can rear rabbits not only for meat but their fur can also be sold.
- There is always a market for rabbits in Africa. Therefore, you will not lack clients as farming is a profitable venture.
- It can be not your full-day business. Rabbits can take care of themselves if you create nice cages for them – you can still have your 8-5 job if you wish.
- You can use few rabbits as pets.
- Rabbits are cheaper to raise than any other livestock.
- Rabbits can grow very fast.
- Rabbits can be a great substitute for poultry products.
- You can employ cheap labor to look after your rabbits’ farms.
- Rabbit Farming does not require special knowledge about breeding processes.
- Some people find rabbits amusing and use them as pets. It can be your another sector of income from rabbits.Source: Naij.com